Call Us: 1300 409 070


Labour Hire Licensing Queensland

Are you asking yourself – Do I need to register for a Labour Hire Licence in QLD or does SDP? Simple answer – we both do.
Labour Hire Licensing Laws

The Labour Hire Licensing Act 2017 – the mandatory licensing scheme for all labour hire providers operating in Queensland. Users of labour hire services can only use a licensed labour hire provider.

You must register by 15th June 2018 – go to the licencing website at the application takes about 15-20 minutes.
To apply for a licence, you will need to register to create an account and provide:

  • the applicants’ or authorised delegates’ contact details. For authorised delegates, a signed authorisation form must be retained by the business and produced if required by the Office of Industrial Relations
  • business details including ABN, entity name and trading name.

What information will I need?
To complete an application for a licence you will need to submit the following documents, however you do not need to do this straight away but may be asked when your application is being assessed.

  • details on the labour hire provider, including contact details
  • details on any other services provided to labour hire workers and details on the industries in which the business provides workers
  • details of the applicant(s), executive officers, and nominated officer(s) information about whether the applicant and other relevant officers are fit and proper to hold a labour hire licence
  • information about the financial viability of the business
  • other information about compliance with laws associated with labour hire providers’ obligations
  • information about compliance with safety and workers’ compensation laws (including the labour hire providers’ WorkCover Queensland accident insurance policy number).

What is not a labour hire service?
Businesses that only supply workers described below do not require a licence. These workers are not considered to be labour hire workers for the purposes of the Act:

  • a high-income employee who earns more than $142,000 per annum and is not covered by an industrial award or agreement
  • an employee who is employed by an ’employing/service entity’ within a business group and works only for and within that single recognisable business
  • an ‘in-house employee’ who temporarily works for another person or business. An ‘in-house employee’ is defined in the Labour Hire Licensing Regulation 2018. Examples of the supply of an ‘in-house employee’ to do work on a temporary basis:

– a lawyer employed by a law firm is seconded for a period of time to a client of the law firm to do work for the client

– a consultant employed by a consultancy business is supplied to a business to conduct a review for the other business

– a person employed by a community care organisation on an ongoing basis and who usually works for the organisation in a variety of locations, including in another person’s home.


To view the article on Victoria Labour Hire Licencing please click here

About the Author

Contractor management, payroll & accounting services for contractors, recruiters & companies Australia and New Zealand wide. We deliver effective, tailored solutions that get results.