Call Us: 1300 409 070


Labour Hire Licensing Queensland

Are you asking yourself – Do I need to register for a Labour Hire Licence in QLD or does SDP? Simple answer – we both do.

The Labour Hire Licensing Act 2017 – the mandatory licensing scheme for all labour hire providers operating in Queensland. Users of labour hire services can only use a licensed labour hire provider.

You must register by 15th June 2018 – go to the licencing website at the application takes about 15-20 minutes.
To apply for a licence, you will need to register to create an account and provide:

  • the applicants’ or authorised delegates’ contact details. For authorised delegates, a signed authorisation form must be retained by the business and produced if required by the Office of Industrial Relations
  • business details including ABN, entity name and trading name.

What information will I need?
To complete an application for a licence you will need to submit the following documents, however you do not need to do this straight away but may be asked when your application is being assessed.

  • details on the labour hire provider, including contact details
  • details on any other services provided to labour hire workers and details on the industries in which the business provides workers
  • details of the applicant(s), executive officers, and nominated officer(s) information about whether the applicant and other relevant officers are fit and proper to hold a labour hire licence
  • information about the financial viability of the business
  • other information about compliance with laws associated with labour hire providers’ obligations
  • information about compliance with safety and workers’ compensation laws (including the labour hire providers’ WorkCover Queensland accident insurance policy number).

What is not a labour hire service?
Businesses that only supply workers described below do not require a licence. These workers are not considered to be labour hire workers for the purposes of the Act:

  • a high-income employee who earns more than $142,000 per annum and is not covered by an industrial award or agreement
  • an employee who is employed by an ’employing/service entity’ within a business group and works only for and within that single recognisable business
  • an ‘in-house employee’ who temporarily works for another person or business. An ‘in-house employee’ is defined in the Labour Hire Licensing Regulation 2018. Examples of the supply of an ‘in-house employee’ to do work on a temporary basis:

– a lawyer employed by a law firm is seconded for a period of time to a client of the law firm to do work for the client

– a consultant employed by a consultancy business is supplied to a business to conduct a review for the other business

– a person employed by a community care organisation on an ongoing basis and who usually works for the organisation in a variety of locations, including in another person’s home.


To view the article on Victoria Labour Hire Licencing please click here

About the Author

Elaine has been the Customer Success Director at SDP Solutions since 2012 and brings over 14 years of experience in Marketing & Communications. At SDP Solutions, she is dedicated to ensuring client satisfaction and success. Elaine excels in corporate and client account management, contractor care, HR management, and payroll. Her strategic approach and deep understanding of client needs help foster strong relationships and deliver tailored solutions, significantly contributing to the growth and success of SDP Solutions.